Oxfam Recent Latest Job Opportunity
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: OXFAM Research Consultant on Agricultural Inputs Support Program in Nigeria
Locations: Adamawa and Kebbi
Career Category: Program / Project Management
- Since the inception of the project in 2016, it has continuously supported over 70,000 rural farmers with training using FFTS modules and delivery of quality inputs for both wet and dry seasons farming, this has resulted to increase in Agricultural productivity. Recent researches indicated over 250% yield increased by rice and maize farmers in Adamawa and Kebbi states.
- The original plan by the project is to provide 35,000 bags of fertilizer to rural farmers in 4 years, but the project was be able to deliver 78,414 bags of fertilizer for 2017/18 season; 22, 860 bags for 2018/19 and 24, 439 bags of fertilizer for 2020 farming season. The project has delivered 125,713 bags of quality fertilizer to small holder farmers in 3 years for both wet and dry seasons farming.
- To boost Agricultural productivity and encourage dry season farming among small holder farmers in the two states, over 600 water pumping machines were made available to them1. Similarly, 70 sets of milling and grinding machines were also delivered to farmers to reduce the hardship in transporting the farm produce for long distance for processing, this has not only enhanced Agricultural production but also served as a source of income to farmers and feed became readily available to Livestock during the dry season when fodders are scarce2.
- The above mentioned inputs were given to VSLA groups as a loan payable after some period of time which led to the creation of INPUT REVOLVING ACCOUNT and the season more rural households were reached than in the initial plan.
- The Federal Government has developed several Agricultural policies in the past like Growth Enhancement Support Scheme (GESS), Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA) and Agricultural Promotion Policy (APP). These were all aimed at supporting the farmers but ended not successful. If the Federal and other Governments can channel their Agricultural intervention like Anchor borrowers’ programme using the PROACT methodology to smallholder farmers, they would be able to reach more farmers and improve the livelihood of the people.
- 1 and 2, machines can be seen in the field during the research work, figures also available in Logistics and MELSA documents.
Objectives of the Research Consultancy:
- To identify the key successes derived from inputs support to smallholder farmers in Adamawa and Kebbi states
- Assess the effectiveness of PROACT and Government inputs intervention to smallholder farmers
- To identify major challenges or shortcomings of the interventions, the approach used and the unintended consequences in targeted rural communities;
- To make recommendations for the government or other Actors to improve on their programming strategy.
- To identify the possible replication of any of the Agricultural interventions by any governments or other stakeholders or communities.
- A hired consultant will conduct the research work on Agricultural input support program in project locations in Nigeria; also looking at lessons from PROACT approach.
- He will meet stakeholders on inputs value chain both within and outside the project, PROACT staff, Government of Adamawa and Kebbi states. This will involve key informant interview and focus group discussions.
- Comprehensive research report with the following contents: Executive Summary, Introduction, Research Objectives, Methodology, Key Findings, Major Challenges, Policy Recommendations.
- The report would be presented in word document and summary of findings using powerpoint presentation.
- This should include success stories from the locations.
Qualifications and Requirements of the Consultant
- The consultant is required to possess at least a Degree in Agric Economics, Development Studies, climate change or any other related fields. Previous proven experience in related research work is an added advantage.
The Consultant is also required to possess the following:
- Ability and proven experience in handling similar research related to Good Agricultural Practices, out-growers programme, Agric Extension, input support intervention with technical understanding of impact of input to increased yield to smallholder farmers.
- Capacity to carry out field research in Nigeria.
- Ability to deliver high quality work in a timely manner
- Ability to relate and communicate in local language (Hausa) is an added advantage.
- At least (5) years’ of proven experience in value chain assessment;
- Excellent communication, analysis, writing and report presentation skills in English;
- A proven record in working for a development sector, NGOs and/or inter-governmental agencies
Procedures for selection of Consultant:
The list of criteria below will be used to evaluate the bids submitted:
- Viability of the methodology in relation to the Agricultural input support program in Nigeria to small holder farmers.
- Experience of working in Northern Nigeria
- Experience in out-growers program.
- Knowledge of Agricultural input support policies in Nigeria.
- Adaptability of proposal in relation to available funds.
- Adequacy of the methodology in responding to specific objective defined in the ToR.
- Well-structured work plan with phases and deadlines for the results, detailed timeline.
- Complementarity of the expertise of the team members
- Viability of the methodology in relation to the time available for the assignment.
- Clearly methodological proposal.
- Evidence of similar study.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their expression of interest, technical and financial proposal to: email@example.com are expected to download the full RFQ package in the link below.
- All questions would be received in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5th October 2020. Responses would be sent by COB of 6th October 2020.
- Proposed methodology should demonstrate; Clear understanding of the ToR (sampling framework, data collection strategy and analytical methods);
- CV(s) of consultant(s) who will undertake the study, including full name, physical addresses, telephone number(s);
- References of two or three previous clients (if available);
- Evidence of previous similar assignments successfully undertaken;
- Proposed budget indicating clearly all cost.
- Filled Request for quotation form
Application Deadline: 11th October, 2020.