Principal Public–Private Partnership/Value Chain Officer – AHAI
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Position N°: 50001113
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the VP will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The core mandate of the Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department (AHAI0 is to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The Strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
- The Agriculture & Agro-industry Department works closely with the Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department and the Regional Directorates to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa Strategy.
- The Agriculture & Agro-Industry Division – South Division (AHAI-S), within the South Africa Development and Business Delivery Office (RDGS) is responsible for the delivery of the Feed Africa Agenda in the southern Africa region. It is responsible for the Bank’s development cooperation in agriculture within 13 countries namely: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, as well as with the SADC Secretariat to promote regional integration.
- The Principal Public-Private Partnership / Value Chain Officer reports to the Regional Manager, AHAI-S. The main work objectives are focussed on the development and upgrading of critical value chains articulated in the Feed Africa Strategy, predominantly through PPP arrangements.
- He /she will work across technical, geographic and institutional boundaries to support the delivery of development solutions for a diverse set of clients in the rural (and urban) space and in the public and private sectors in line with the Agricultural development, Agribusiness and Agro-Industry agenda of the AfDB Group.
- Using a value-chain approach, the incumbent will support the implementation of this agenda in the Southern Africa region, with specific focus on providing technical input for the design, and supervision of projects which:
- Promote value chain development, value addition, primary and secondary processing of crops, fisheries and livestock;
- Catalyze private sector entry and growth in African agribusiness;
- Promote agri-SME growth and the commercialization of agriculture, particularly addressing access to finance needs
- Creates farm to fork market linkages;
- Facilitates the development of agro-poles and agro-processing hubs;
- Supports the development of an agribusiness enabling environment, and;
- Invests in hard infrastructure (including roads, markets and irrigation), soft infrastructure (human capital, i.e., trained potential employees, ICT, etc.), and enabling policies and reforms, for transformation of African agriculture into viable, profitable businesses.
- The Principal Public-Private Partnership / Value Chain Officer will work closely with private sector experts at the Bank to scale up investments in agribusiness and will design and coordinate the delivery of client solutions and all project management aspects of the deployment of such solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support and technical expertise in the development or upgrading of priority of value chains, Agro-poles, corridors and rural infrastructure (roads, energy, water, storage facilities and markets) linking smallholder farmers to markets within the overall Bank infrastructure pipeline;
- Formulate public and private investment proposals in agriculture value chain development and promote an enabling environment by the public sector for private sector investment and involvement in agriculture (Agro-industrial parks).
- Identify Public-Private Partnership for Agro-poles / parks and rural infrastructure investment opportunities within key value chains;
- Invest in strategic private sector clients, financial institutions and commercial banks, private equity funds, investment and impact funds to finance Agropoles and key rural infrastructure along the 18 key priority agricultural value chains;
- Partners with other IFIs, investors, including venture capital, private equity firms and strategic investors with a particular focus on public private partnerships for Agropoles and rural infrastructure (at the country and regional level) to engage stakeholders in alignment of sustainable socio-economic development goals;
- Create a pipeline and manage a strong portfolio of existing and potential Agro-poles / parks and rural infrastructure investors along key value chains and achieve sustainable development impact;
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close debt and equity transactions; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in all transactions;
- Lead support and origination of non-sovereign operations with solutions to reach smallholder farmers, productive enterprises (particularly women and youth);
- Build and maintain a strong pipeline of potential on value chains through new debt and equity investments, follow up on new business opportunities, and liaise extensively with potential clients in the region.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the financial instruments and their contribution to Feed Africa and action plan.
- Develop and implement performance monitoring and evaluation systems and reporting activities (including KPIs) to enable transparent assessment of Agropoles and rural infrastructure outcomes and impacts, both for internal and external circulation.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Finance, Agribusiness or closely related field.
- A minimum of six (6) years relevant professional experience in the area of investment banking, consulting or private equity / venture capital focussing on Agribusiness, and 3 years working on value chain development and / or PPP investment arrangements.
- Sound experience with debt and / or equity investments in developing markets, venture investing and emerging countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures;
- Proven leadership in matters relating to negotiating and structuring debt and equity transactions, technical review of reports and consultation with other financiers, among others;
- Knowledge of Africa and the rural development needs, opportunities, development challenges and possible solutions;
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions;
- Acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through agricultural investments in Africa;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external;
- Knowledgeable in the execution and structuring of debt and equity investments in the assigned sector projects and programs;
- Networking ability required to build successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results. Prudence and skill in identification of such relationships and partners based on meeting the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution;
- Communicate and write effectively in Portuguese and / or French, with a good working knowledge of English.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
19th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information & Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and / or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
you can also apply for weekend jobs in lagos, ssce jobs in abuja, o’level jobs in abuja, jobs for undergraduates in nigeria, epayplus,undergraduate jobs in nigeria